This is a memorial website to honor our dear friend and loved one, Dan Bergin. Dan has many friends in the sailing and skiing communities; in the piloting and kite gliding communities; in the enlightenment intensive communities, and many, many other groups and organizations, as well his close and loved primary family. This "blog" gives us an opportunity to express our feelings for and to Dan and to recount experiences we had with him.

TO ADD YOUR MESSAGE TO THIS SITE:

Send an email to: bpalmer@winevalleyart.com

Please put "Remembering Captain Dan" in the subject line. In that way, Brock will be able to identify your message and will post your message within 1 -2 days. You can include pictures as attachments.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Meagan Randall

The heart wrenching news started to unravel for me on Saturday. I had heard the news of the wind sailor on Lake Washington last week. I Opened the paper on Saturday morning to see that they had released the name of the person involved. I gasped. No. It couldn’t be THE Dan Bergin. This article said he was of Seattle, Dan was technically out of Park City. Not the same guy. I’m certain of it. I went over in my head that I should give him a call and when he answered, we’d laugh and I’d be relieved that he was okay. I went to my son’s soccer game on Sunday and brought up the story. “Not the same guy” I was told. “This guy was a pilot.” My heart hit the floor. Dan was a pilot. The tears started flowing. No! No! No!
I googled the article when I returned home. I’ve cried off and on since. I just saw him at the boat show. He came up to my booth, gave me a great big hug, smiled his perfect happy smile. Shorts, flip flops, cockle shells around his neck. The quintessential Capt. Dan.
The quote on his home page is one I have cut out and put on my bulletin board. He seemed to truly live his life authentically. More so than I’ve seen of others.
He was encouraging a trip aboard Papa II to Alaska with my two boys. He talked about what he would show them. Life experience. Nature.
I will miss you so.
I won’t forget you.
You brought something to my life and made it richer. Thank you.

Meagan Randall
Seacoast Marine Finance
206.784.7773

No comments: