This is a memorial website to honor our dear friend and loved one, Dan Bergin. Dan has many friends in the sailing and skiing communities; in the piloting and kite gliding communities; in the enlightenment intensive communities, and many, many other groups and organizations, as well his close and loved primary family. This "blog" gives us an opportunity to express our feelings for and to Dan and to recount experiences we had with him.

TO ADD YOUR MESSAGE TO THIS SITE:

Send an email to: bpalmer@winevalleyart.com

Please put "Remembering Captain Dan" in the subject line. In that way, Brock will be able to identify your message and will post your message within 1 -2 days. You can include pictures as attachments.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Scott Appleman

I was at work today when I received an email from Katrina Garske. I could tell by the tone I was about to be informed of some terrible news. I wanted to stop and rewind the email to obtain a different outcome but I could not. My worst fears were realized; a good friend was gone. I first met Dan at Snowbird when he approached me with the idea of hosting a NAASF (North American Airlines Ski Federation) ski week at Snowbird. That was 2001. Since then, I got to know Dan better. We skied (he snowboarded, too) at Snowbird and at Jackson Hole together and he kept telling me about his sailing adventures which enthralled me. I grew up sailing Fireballs on Long Island Sound and wanted to return to the ocean and do some long-distance sailing. I followed his most recent journey from Venezuela to Seattle online and reveled in his lyrical musings of life on the water. We crossed paths in the Salt Lake airport on October 4th; I was headed to Ft. Lauderdale to attend a ski show and he was off to Seattle to refit Papa II. We briefly discussed his plans to visit the Galapagos the following year, I had just returned. I so wanted to sail with Dan and visit ports both near and far. A more kindred spirit I know not.

Fair thee well my friend!

Scott Appleman

No comments: